Elbiku, Lääne-Nigula vald » +372 525 6699 roosta@roosta.ee » Book »

Sights of the Noarootsi

Estonians mainly associate Noarootsi with coastal Swedes, who lived here from mid-13th century until 1944. As a commemoration of Estonian Swedes, there are many Swedish place names in the Noarootsi Rural Municipality. The origin of the name “Noarootsi” is still a mystery, but there are several legends about it. Noarootsi was mentioned in writing for the first time in 1319 (as Nucke). To find out more about the history and the present day of Noarootsi, please visit the homepage of our rural municipality at www.noarootsi.ee